Our next event, Fall 2019, we will be making warm winter coats for donation to children in New Mexico. The design will draw inspiration and design elements from Fall 2017, our most popular design. We will be doing it all from pattern grading, spreading, cutting, organization,sewing and finally distribution. Here are the details:
Pre-production: July 4-7 2019, 8:00 AM -5:00 PM*.
When you register for pre-production, you are automatically enrolled in production.
*PLEASE NOTE: 8:00 AM start time for pre-production!
Production:: August 30-September 2, 2019
August 30th: 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM.
August 31-Sept 2: 7:30 AM -5:00 PM
Slots: 25 (includes the 10 from pre-production)
Location: 410 Old Coors Dr SW, Albuquerque NM 87121
Contact us at (505) 877-1713 or factory AT abqfi DOT.org
Qualifications and experience required:: None. That’s right, no experience required. There is no trick to being successful if we’re staffed by people who already have skills and experience. The amazing part of what we do is training unskilled and inexperienced people. We have successfully, and repeatedly trained people who have never sewn in their lives. I can’t say this more simply but your experience or lack of it will not affect your acceptance. However, overstating your experience and qualifications can count against you. Read the questions on the registration form very carefully to make sure your responses don’t lend the impression of exaggeration. We do need an accurate picture of applicants so we can plan staffing and training
Registration by Lottery: Since the boot camps fill so quickly (sometimes less than an hour), we use a lottery system. There is a 2 week period to sign up and then we’ll draw names out of the proverbial hat. Once you’re notified of having gotten in, you’ll need to pay a $50 deposit within 3 days time. If the deposit isn’t paid, we pull the next name on the list. On April 23, 2019, you will be notified whether you got in or not.
These are the tasks that are completed in pre-production. Again, if you sign up for pre-production, you are automatically enrolled in production (I repeat this no less than 3 times in each post and I still get questions about this):
Pre-production: In the first phase July 4-7, 2019, boot campers will:
- Analyze fitting and dressing challenges for our “customer”.
- Assist in pattern creation and complete production pattern auditing for each style.
- Sew mock ups of the proposed style for group critique.
- Create finished samples.
- Assist with the creation of an industrial engineering work study to determine the number of operations, sewing time per operation and type of equipment will we need.
- Analyze the sewing skills we need to train for and finalize a plan to manage the challenges of an unknown workforce.
- Assist with cut order planning (calculating yields), creating the master schedule to order goods, final costing, and generally learning how to manage production soup to nuts.
- Finalize the sourcing plan to include the costs and inventory we need to complete the project.
- Train to be trainers: those attending the design phase will have supervisory or management roles for the production phase over Labor Day (August 30-Sept 2).
Deposit due: Friday April 26, 2019
Balance due: Wednesday May 15, 2019
Deposit due: April 26, 2019
Balance due: Monday July 15, 2019
Catered lunch: $80 (4 days x $20)
We charge a nominal fee to cover some of the event expenses (the actual cost to my business including planning, equipment, and work stoppage is about $500 per person over and above this fee). As a charitable organization, your fee, less the cost of food, is tax deductible in the USA (and any additional donation is deeply appreciated). Please note there is no catered lunch option for Pre-Production and that the fee for Pre-Pro includes Production.
In sum, registration is officially open. Click here to fill out the registration form.
We can’t wait to meet you!